Monday 31 December 2012

The Application




My application began in July 2012. The Yummy Jobs website (the one where we had to apply) opened the applications for the CRP on July 1st for a start date at Disney between February and July of 2013. Since I was at my friend Amie’s house celebrating Canada Day for the weekend, I submitted my application when I got back to Barrie on July 3rd.

On the Yummy Jobs website (www.yummyjobs.com for anyone who is interested) I went to the link for Disney International Programs – Cultural Representative Program - Canadian Pavilion. There was some information on the Cultural Representative Program and a big red button at the bottom that says APPLY NOW! There were several sections that had to be filled out, such as personal details, education and skills, and work experience. They also required a CV or resume for the application.

The CV/resume is an important part of the application process as this (along with a cover letter should you choose to include one) is what separates you from the other applicants. This part of the application determines which applicants proceed to the telephone interview stage of the interview process, so it should not be viewed as just a small part of the application. You should make sure that you have highlighted any relevant work experience for Disney (for example, I have worked as a camp counsellor for a portion of the past six summers and I worked at Wendy’s when I was not away at university for the past six years). Even volunteer work that could relate to an area of the CRP is useful for your work experience.

I also included a cover letter for my application. I know that some people attached their cover letter to their CV/resume. I put my cover letter in the box entitled “Motivation” on the Yummy Jobs application. I used my cover letter to convey my love for everything and anything Disney. I tried to make my cover letter personal and professional at the same time. Including a cover letter also helps you to stand out from other applicants and can help to explain your love of Disney in another way.

After submitting my application, I had a long wait until I heard my results from Yummy Jobs. The same day as I applied I got an email from Yummy Jobs thanking me for my application and informing me that I would be hearing back in 6-8 weeks regarding my application. On August 7th, I received an email from Kristen at Yummy Jobs (she is your main contact through the interview and acceptance for the Canadian program. She is absolutely lovely!) informing me that I had gotten through to the phone interview stage! I was told that I would be contacted in another 4-6 weeks. On September 14th, I received my next email to arrange my phone interview for the next week!


Currently Listening to: “Yankee In A Chip Shop” by The Matches from the album A Band In Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment