Sunday 10 February 2013

Orientations, and Paperwork, and New Friends, Oh My!




The next few days were taken up with a fair amount of paperwork. On Wednesday, the day after check in, we started with a Housing Check In. I went over with my roommate to the room of one of the guys from the UK and met most of the people from the UK and two of the Canadians from the same start date. We all headed over to the pavilion together and got to know each other better.

At the pavilion, they started by sorting us into two lines, one for people who qualify for the travel allowance at the end of their program and the other for people who don’t. I got my travel allowance paperwork sorted out and went into the pavilion. We had to fill out a section on the back of our program guide and show valid identification to show that we were over 21 if we were living in a non-wellness apartment. Since we were at the front of the line, we all got through really quickly and had a couple of hours before we had to be at The Commons for the next session. A group of us took the bus over to The Commons and walked from there to Panera Bread for lunch.

Our session at The Commons began at 3 and it was our Housing Welcome Session. We all went into the Commons Clubhouse and went over all of our housing rules and details. The session started off with some trivia. The woman who was running the session, Sarah Smiles (who is probably one of the happiest people I’ve ever met), held up stuffed animals of the two main characters from The Rescuers and asked if anyone could name them. My hand shot right up (and I was sitting in the front row) so I answered Bernard and Bianca and won a Disney lanyard!



After the session, a group of us went and did a Walmart run. Since the majority of the people from the UK had arrived late the night before, many of them had very little in terms of food and other necessities. I had realized that I had forgotten a few essential items on my Walmart run from the day before (a hair dryer, sugar, etc) so I went for the Walmart run as well. I was also very amused by the differences that exist between British and Canadian terms. I learned that the British refer to Band Aids as “plasters”! This probably amused me more than it should have!

When we had finished the Walmart run we went outside to wait for the bus, to find out that the one bus that we were expecting didn’t show up. When the next bus came around, there were a ridiculous number of people waiting to head back to housing and this led to a very crowded bus!

When we got back to Vista and had unloaded all of our Walmart shopping, we decided to go to Downtown Disney and have dinner there. Since a few of the people we were with had never been to Disney before, seeing the looks on their faces while we were in Downtown Disney was priceless! We wandered around and explored the entirety of Downtown Disney. We also went into Ghiradelli’s and got free chocolate samples! For dinner, we first went to Planet Hollywood to find out that they were hosting a corporate event. We next went to T Rex and there was a huge line up just to check for a table. We decided to head over to the Rainforest CafĂ© and that was where we ended up eating! It was a great way to end out our first full day together in Florida!

On Thursday, we started off early at the Commons Clubhouse again. They started off the morning with an initial Disney look check (which my hair colour did not pass). I was told that I had to go and get my hair colour redone. The few of us who had to do this were given a list of hair salons near our housing. After our morning session, we made appointments for the next morning.

Our morning session was in relation to immigration. It was mostly filling our paperwork so that we could legally work in the United States. After this session, we went back to Vista to make our hair appointments. We went for lunch at Applebee’s and than went back to Vista for the next session. This session was a series of stations ranging from immigration paperwork, to taking pictures for id, to housing paperwork. After getting through all of the stations, I tagged along with the British girls while they went to get American phones sorted out.

Later that night, housing was putting on a Winter Wonderland Welcome Event with Tinkerbell and friends in Chatham Field. We met up at one of the apartments in Chatham and headed over to the event. We got pizza and did some dancing out on the field, including a lot of conga lines! I also learned how to wobble!

After the event, I had the opportunity to meet a lot of the Canadians. It was really nice to have the opportunity to get to know everyone and a group of us ended the night by heading out to IHOP for breakfast at 1am!

Friday was a day off for everyone before having Traditions on Saturday morning. For myself and two other girls, our Friday morning started off at the hair dressers to correct our hair. After several hours, we were fitting the Disney look (although I REALLY miss being blonde). As my parents were still in Florida until Saturday morning, I decided to spend their last day in Orlando with them! We dropped the girls back off at Vista and we headed to Downtown Disney for some lunch. We went to the Earl of Sandwich and actually ran into a couple of people from my arrival group!

After lunch, we went to Hollywood Studios for the night because I wanted to see Fantasmic! My dad really wanted to do Star Tours again and we got the podracing one this time! After the ride, we went into the gift shop and my parents bought me an ewok stuffed animal because my puppy at home looks like an ewok! Just for a point of comparison…




We decided to go see The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow and The Voyage of the Little Mermaid. After these shows we headed down to the Fantasmic amphitheatre and got seats in the middle section (the Mickey section) just a few rows from the front. The show was fantastic (it still remains my favourite night time fireworks show at Disney) and they had added in a couple new things from the last time we saw the show, which was exciting!

When Fantasmic had finished, I went with my parents back to the All Star Movies and had dinner with them. They drove me back to Vista and we said our goodbyes. The next morning was Traditions and I had an early start for that. I only had one more day to go until I became an official Walt Disney World cast member!

Currently listening to: “Parker” by Automatic Loveletter from the album Recover

No comments:

Post a Comment